Specialty MaltsAugust 16, 2011 # 3:15 AM # Special Malts # No Comment
Definition of Specialty Malts
“Any malt type which is not standard malt used in brewing to improve color, aroma, flavor, taste or change other characteristics of the beer.”
Special malt gives character to your beer. They lend the unique flavors and colors that define the various styles. These malts are specifically used to enhance beer characteristics while increasing body and head retention but should not be relied upon to increase alcohol.
Purpose of using special malts
• Essential elements in all specialty beers
• Gives color, aroma, flavor and taste to most beer types
• Affects body and palate fulness
• Adds flavor stability through antioxidative properties
• Provides the possibility to individualise maybe even achieve excellence!