Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Snow TestJuly 6, 2012 # 6:15 PM # Soft Drink Analyses # No Comment
What is “Snow Test”?
The carbon dioxide gas snow test “Snow Test” is performed to detect off flavor of carbon dioxide gas. The procedure of these test are following…
1. Liquid carbon dioxide is collected in a 250 ml beaker then snow is formed in the beaker.
2. Mixed 50 ml of process water with 50 ml of snow form no.1 in blue cap bottle and then shake the bottle to ensure a homogeneous mix of water and snow. No off odors should be noted.
3. The rest 200 ml of snow from no.1 is allowed to melt on filter pager, the melt snow is sniffed. Also, no off odors should be noted.
Quality Guidelines for Liquid Carbon Dioxide
- Purity minimum 99.9%
- Organoleptic = no off flavors, no off odors and no turbidity
- Moisture less than 25 ppm
- Dissolved oxygen less than 30 ppm
- Total non-volatile compounds less than 10 ppm
- Volatile and other compounds depend on your policy
CO2 is a slightly toxic, odorless, colorless gas with a slightly pungent, acid taste. However it is not odorless. It has a strong odor when it is concentrated. If it were odorless, it cold not be smelled, but it can. In fact you can say it smells like a carbonated beverage. Normally, CO2 off odors are reported such as fruity, acetaldehyde, H2S, sulphuric.