Beer Flavor ComponentsJune 13, 2013 # 7:05 PM # Flavour Evaluation # No Comment
Beer is traditionally made from four major ingredients (malt, water, yeast and hop) each which contribute to the flavors in different ways. The number of flavor components playing a role in the flavor and taste of standard beer is enormous and unknown but certainly exceeds 800. The most important groups of beer components are:
1. Alcohols Group
• Higher alcohols: e.g. cis-3-hexenol, 3-methylbutanol, 2-methylbutanol, 2-methylpropanol, propanol and phenylethanol.
2. Bittering Acids Group
• Alpha-acid, beta-acid, grammar-acid from hop resins.
3. Hop Aroma Group
• geraniol and isovaleric acid from hop oil.
4. Esters Group
• Ethyl acetate (pear drops like)
• Isoamyl acetate (banana like)
• Ethyl hexanoate (apple like)
• Ethyl butyrate (tinned pineapple like)
5. Aldehydes Group
• Acetaldehyde (green apple like)
• trans-2-nonenal (paper like)
• 4-hydroxy-3-methoxybenzaldehyde (vanilla like)
• Benzaldehyde (almonds like)
• isobutyraldehyde (grain like)
6. Acids Group
• Butyric acid (locker room like)
• Caprylic acid (goat like)
• Isovaleric acid (stale cheese like)
• Acetic acid (vinegar like)
• Citric acid (lemon like)
7. Sulphur Group
• Ethanethiol (mercaptan like)
• 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol (lightstruck)
• Hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs like)
• dimethyl sulphide (sweet corn like)
• dimethyl trisulphide (cooked onion like)
• p-menthane-8-thiol-3-one (catty)
8. Phenols Group
• 2-methoxyphenol (smoke like)
• 2-methoxy-4-vinyl-phenol (clove like)
• 2,6-dichlorophenol (hospital like)
• 2-bromophenol (electric fire like)
9. Inorganic Ions Group
Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Iron, Copper , Nickel and Aluminium.
10. Polyphenols Group
• Polyphenols are playing a negative role as elements in the formation of beer haze. Protein-polyphenol hazes form in beer, wine, and fruit juices and can limit shelf life. But they are positive for flavor e.g. reductones can make more stabilize beer all polyphenols acts as antioxidants which possibly for health.